This guide covers pretty much everything you need to know about electric shavers.
Before we provide you all the info you need to buy your electric shaver, take a look at the top list below.
Let’s Dive in…
Check out the list Best Electric Shavers:
|Philips Norelco Shaver 4500|
|Braun Series 7 760cc-4||Foil||Stand Rechargeable|
|Philips Norelco 2100||Rotary||Wire Rechargeable|
|Braun Series 9-9095cc|
|Panasonic ES-LV81-K |
Arc4 Men's Electric Razor
1. Philips Norelco Shaver 4500
Formerly known as the Aquatech line of shavers, the Philips Norelco 4500 is designed to be used either wet or dry. As a rotary device, it’s very adaptable to your face and Philips has used a float, pivot, and flex system that is relatively versatile for the shaving process.
One of the key technologies used in this shaver is its Super Lift and Cut system that uses dual blades to lift hairs and cut them at a point that actually falls under the skin. This technology is very effective and really provides a close shave.
Philips Norelco has also included a pop-out trimmer/detailer so that you can more easily trim your eyebrows and facial hair. There is no separate charger/base with this shaver, so you’ll have to plug it in to charge it, which only takes about an hour for a full charge.
Summary: If you’re looking for a fairly responsive shaver that has the ability to adapt to your face, then the Philips Norelco Shaver 4500 may be the product for your shaving needs. Its quick charge feature will never leave you flat-footed when you need a shave.
- This is a shaver that provides a very efficient and easy shave.
- It has wet and dry functionality.
- Can be cleaned by running it under the faucet.
- To keep the price down, Philips Norelco hasn’t provided a lot of extras.
2. Braun Series 7 760cc-4
The second product in our electric shaver reviews is the Braun Series 7 760cc electric shaver, and it has a sizeable amount of features that are designed to make personal grooming a more streamlined process.
In fact, out of all of our selected shavers, this is probably one of the best and well-rounded choice.
As a foil type shaver, it does suffer somewhat when managing the natural contours of the face, but this is somewhat negated by the fact that the shaver employs Intelligent Sonic tech, which can increase power to areas that are more difficult to shave.
If you find the cleaning process for electric razors/shavers tedious, then this is a relatively easy process that is all but automatic. While the base is somewhat large, it adds a lot of versatility to the shaving system and will ensure that your new shaver is always clean and recharged.
Summary: If you want a versatile and convenient shaver, the Braun Series 7 760cc is a great option that handles cleaning and charging through a very simple and efficient system. Its versatile power system makes this a great travel shaver as well.
- Best pick on our list.
- Its fast-clean feature makes this a very easy to maintain shaver.
- You can plug the cord into both the stand and the shaver.
- It has three different shaving modes that allow for some personalization of your shave.
- The bulky base’s contacts can get stuck when you insert the razor.
3. Philips Norelco Electric Shaver
The Philips Norelco 2100 is our first rotary unit in this guide. This is a fairly standard rotary product that’s perfect if you don’t want to spend a lot of money on an electric shaver.
As with many rotary shavers, this device features three rotary blades that will contour to your face and make the shaving process easier. These blades are part of Norelco’s “Closecut” line of blades, which are designed to cut cleanly and to actually sharpen themselves, which results in a much longer lifespan.
As a wire charged unit, you simply charge it through the cable; a process that takes about eight hours for a full charge. Once it’s been fully powered, you’ll get about 35 minutes of shaving performance out of this shaver, which should be enough for multiple uses.
Summary: If you’re looking for a fairly effective, value shaver, the Philips Norelco Electric Shaver 2100 is a great option. It even has a pop-out trimmer for more intricate beard and eyebrow details.
- This shaver is very easy to clean; simply run the opened head under a stream of water.
- It also comes with a cleaning brush.
- It’s very affordable.
- With its four-direction pivoting heads, contours aren’t an issue.
- This shaver has a tendency to struggle with thicker beards.
- It only works for a dry shave, which means no shaving cream.
4. Braun Series 9-9095cc
As you already know by now, foils aren’t the most contour-friendly shaving options out there, but many manufacturers have released foil shavers that have the ability to pivot so that you can experience some of the adaptability of a rotary. This shaver, the Braun Series 9-9095cc is one such shaver.
How does it work? The Series 9-9095cc uses a quadruple action cutting system that pivots at the edges so that contours aren’t much of a problem. While this feature won’t quite match the facial adaptability of a rotary shaver, it definitely adds a bit of versatility to the product.
Foil shavers have a tendency to work better for people with sensitive skin and the fact that this product has a five-action cleaning and charging station really works out people with this skin type. With a well-lubricated head, you’ll find that the blades will cut quicker and without the need of extra passes, which can cause skin irritation.
Summary: Braun’s Series 9 shaver has a lot of great shaving features that provide a very well-rounded, contour-friendly experience. It also has some great aesthetic design notes that make it stand out from other shavers.
- This is a very attractive looking shaver.
- It has a digital indicator that displays the charge and the shaver’s current settings.
- It uses sonic technology to read the face being shaved and adapt output to capture more hair in problem areas.
- It’s very ergonomic; you won’t easily drop this shaver in the sink.
- This shaver is somewhat noisy.
- With its premium design and features, this shaver is a bit expensive.
5. Panasonic ES-LV81-K
The Panasonic ES-LV81 has a design that will remind you of a rotary, but its head is distinctly a foil unit. The foil head is a bit overlarge in comparison to many of the shavers of its type, but this larger construction, as well as its Multi-Flex system, allows for the heads to pivot more than is typical of a foil shaver.
The Panasonic ES-LV81 is designed to have a five stage blade system so that your shave is more complete. When coupled with its 14,000 vibrations per minute function, this is a good option for people who want a quick shave that is close and the hypoallergenic features of a foil system.
The five oscillating blades are actually designed using nanotech, which allows them to have a very sharp edge that cuts hairs precisely. Each blade cuts at a 30-degree angle and is made of hypoallergenic stainless steel.
This shaver has a fairly boxy stand that allows you to clean and charge the shaver with the press of a button. This is a good feature, but you can also simply run the shaver under the faucet if you’d prefer to be more hands-on.
Summary: While it is a bit large, the Panasonic ES-LV81-K Arc5 has a lot going for it. Specifically, its ability to provide a close shave and its ease of cleaning make it a great choice for everyday shaving.
- This is a very agile shaver; the head pivots and the foils are curved so that it’s easy to work with facial contours.
- The trimmer is very convenient and is a feature often not included on premium shavers like this one.
- It also has a very powerful motor.
- When traveling the shaver has a lock button so that it isn’t inadvertently activated in your bags.
- When shaving upwards, this shaver tends to catch somewhat.
- The base station has a tendency to malfunction over time.
6. Philips Norelco 1250X/40
Shavers that can be used when dry or when you’re using shaving cream or foam are very versatile, which is why the Philips Norelco 1250X shaver shines as a great electric shaver. It also has a very ergonomic design that is very comfortable to use.
Its best feature is its unique rotary-style head. Where most rotary shavers have a lot of adaptability, this shaver, with its 3D technology, has a higher degree of articulation so that it adapts uniquely to any face; in fact, this is the best shaver for facial contours in this guide.
For those that aren’t working with a whole lot of counter/sink space, this shaver’s stand has a very minimalist form factor. While you sacrifice shaver cleaning with such a small base, it charges the shaver very effectively; you only need about an hour’s charge for a shave.
Summary: For a very adaptive shave, the Philips Norelco 1250X/40 SensoTouch 3D is one of the best options currently available. It has a smaller stand that charges the shaver with relative ease.
- This shaver glides over the skin very easily, which helps you avoid skin irritation.
- The charging stand is very small and has a minimal footprint.
- It has a relatively powerful motor that doesn’t get caught in thick hair.
- Its battery charges quickly and employs a LED screen so that you can track the charge.
- The smaller stand has a tendency to slide easily across surfaces.
- The heads are expensive to replace.
- You have to manually clean it.
7. Panasonic ES-LA63-S
The Panasonic ES-LA63-S Arc4 is another foil shaver that has a larger head that has a good amount of articulation, which will allow you to manage contours fairly well. In fact, this blade has a four-blade system that cuts very closely, even on the more contoured areas of your face.
This model of electric shave uses a two motor setup that provides a fairly fast rate of oscillation; in fact, the blades of this shaver can reach a VPM of 14,000. Each of the blades is also designed to oscillate in a different direction – one of the motors runs side to side, while the other moves up and down.
When it comes to its power profile, this shaver has an LCD screen that will let you know charge level, blade status, and whether the shaver needs to be cleaned or not. While this doesn’t have a dedicated stand, you can charge the shaver with a wire connection.
Summary: For a close cut, this is one of the better electric foil shaving options on the market. Its cross-cutting design really provides a smooth facial experience.
- You can use this for both wet and dry shaving.
- This shaver cuts very closely.
- Cleaning is simple because you can submerge it in water.
- It doesn’t have a charging stand and takes a while to fully charge.
8. Panasonic ES8103S
As you might have guessed from seeing that Panasonic’s Arc5 shaver has five blades and its Arc4 shaver having four, the Arc3 line of men’s shavers employs three blades in its foil-style head.
Just like the other products in the Arc series the blades of the Panasonic ES8103S are very sharp due to the company’s proprietary Nanotech.
The triple-blade system also will give you a good degree of coverage as the blades are turned at a 30-degree angle that allows the foil to lift and cut even the deepest rooted hairs.
With its high speed, 13,000 RPM motor, the Arc3 will cut without much in the way of uncomfortable snagging. In addition to this, the impressive motor can enter “turbo cleaning mode,” which will boost the rotations per minute to 17,000 that effectively shakes out excess hairs caught in the head.
Summary: If you’re looking for a premium shaving experience without the premium cost, the Panasonic Arc3 shaver is a good option. It has nanotech-sharp blades, a pop-out trimmer, and provides an efficient and quick shave.
- The Arc system is great at managing facial contours.
- This electric shaver comes with a travel bag.
- The motor on this shaver is fairly powerful for quick, even cuts.
- It also includes a pop-out trimmer.
- It has a relatively short battery life.
9. Remington PG6025 All in one
While our second selection in this guide to the best electric shavers is pretty budget-friendly, our penultimate selection the Remington PG6025 all-in-one grooming kit is far and away the best budget electric shaver that we’ll feature here.
This electric shaver is relatively unique when you compare it to the other products because of the fact that it has a very convertible build. With one device, you can trim with its trimmer and then switch out to the foil head and cut like a standard foil.
While the device itself isn’t directly washable or waterproof, the attachments are, which makes it relatively easy to clean and maintain. In addition to this, the blades are self-sharpening so that you won’t have to replace them often.
Summary: The Remington PG6025 All-in-1 Lithium Powered Grooming Kit is a great travel trimmer that won’t set you back a lot of money. It also has a surprising amount of versatility for its price.
- This is a great travel shaver due to its extensive runtime on a single charge.
- The blades are self-sharpening.
- For those who want to maintain a specific beard length, the attachments give you eight lengths options to choose from.
- While it does come with a stand, the stand is only used to store the attachments and doesn’t charge or clean the head.
- Since it’s inexpensive, and despite its great functionality, its build quality is a little poor.
10. Wahl Professional 8061-100
Our final electric shaver is a foil device that is designed to have a very portable form factor. In fact, the whole Shaver Shaper is only about three inches from its top to its bottom.
Wahl has colored its foil surfaces gold; this is actually because Wahl has included a hypoallergenic coating on the foil so that users will be able to achieve a bump-free shave – even when they don’t have access to a good cleaning system.
As a shaver that charges via a wire, the Wahl Shaver Shaper can be used wirelessly for about 30 minutes on a charge, which is more than enough time for a few shaves. Wahl also offers additional head options if needed.
Summary: Portability and ease of use are what makes the Wahl Professional 8061-100 5-star Series Rechargeable Shaver Shaper so special. Its simple design makes it a great device to take with you on your trip, and its hypoallergenic foil is a major plus.
- This is a very portable shaver.
- It’s also very simple; you simply plug it in to charge it and use it through its simplified one-button control scheme.
- It cuts very close.
- It’s a standard foil razor, which means that it’s very flat and doesn’t do great on facial contours.
- It vibrates very loudly and may even irritate your fingers as you use it.
Electric Razor vs. Traditional Shaving
Electric Shavers Buyer’s Guide
There are two primary types of electric shavers currently on the market today; rotary and foil. Each has its advantages and disadvantages, which is why the two types are widely considered to be equal in terms of their effectiveness, but let’s take a look at what makes each unique from the other:
When you select a rotary shaver, its blades will move in a circular direction. This is a very effective way of cutting small hairs because each hair will enter the tiny openings on the head of the rotary shaver.
This is where the spinning blades cut down the hairs until your beard or body hair reaches the desired length.
The prime benefit of the rotary shaver is its ability to pivot so that you can cut at different angles. This versatility will allow you to work with the angles of the area that you wish to shave and provides very specific benefits when you’re shaving around the nose, jaw line, or chin areas of your face.
This ability to work with the shape and curvature of a face or other parts of the body allows for you to have a great degree of control and relative closeness. The chief drawback of this type of shaver is its inability to get as close as a foil shaver.
As you might expect, foil shavers grant the closest shave of the electric shavers. The head on a foil shaver contains oscillating blades that move in a back and forth style of movement.
The name “foil” directly refers to a very thin layer of metallic mesh that rests above the blades of the shaver. This metal actually provides some protection for sensitive skin, but like rotary units, you should clean your foil shaver consistently to avoid the formation of acne.
Foil shaving technology has been around for almost a century now and is convenient and relatively versatile, though rotary shavers have foil shavers beat when it comes to their ability to adjust to contours. Simply put, foil heads don’t move very much, which means that you’ll have to angle your foil shaver a lot more than you would a rotary shaver.
In addition to this, foil shavers also tend to be slightly noisier than rotary shavers, but the closeness of the shave is usually enough for some to prefer this type to rotaries.
The trimmer style of electric shaver is designed to shave closely and accurately. When you think of barber-style clippers, you’re thinking of a trimmer.
Trimmers are actually very similar to foils save for one aspect; the trimmer style of electric shaver doesn’t have the foil that protects the oscillating blades. Instead, there is usually a metal platform that’s positioned above the blades that serve as a guide for the cutting edges.
One of the best features of dedicated trimmers is their ability to be customized when you use attachments. These attachments will let you decide the depth of the blade’s cut, which is great for styling.
Ease of Cleaning
It is absolutely imperative that you keep your electric shaver thoroughly clean. To do this, each shaver has a different system that will allow you to clean out shorn hairs and clean the surface of the head.
As a general rule, a good shaver should always be very easy to clean. It should be easy to open and empty, and it should also be easy to clean its heads so that bacteria can’t accumulate.
Cleaning out the inside of your shaver will help the blades cut more easily because a clogged shaver will have a harder time rotating or oscillating. Cleaning the head will vary, but some of the shavers on the market today are waterproof, which means that you can simply run them under your faucet to clean them easily.
As a general rule of thumb, knowing how a shaver cleans up is a great feature to look for when you’re searching for a new device.
Some products that are on the market actually come with “smart cleaning systems” that includes a stand that will clean your shaver after you’re done with it. This is a great system that will take care of both excess hairs and will help keep the head clean so that you aren’t inadvertently exposing your skin to bacteria.
There are also models currently on the market that employ LCD screens to that you can keep track of when your razor will need to be cleaned.
You’ll find that quicker blades are more effective blades for shaving. The chief method of gauging the performance of an electric shaver is by looking at its cuts per minute for rotary units and vibrations per minute for foil blades.
For example, most modern shavers have a cuts or vibrations per minute in the 10,000-plus range. Buying razors of this type or greater will ensure that you will have a good cut and it will also simplify your grooming process greatly.
There are a few ways in which your electric shaver can be powered. Each method has its pros and cons, so let’s take a look at each:
- Wired – As you might expect, this type of electric shaver is usable only when it is plugged in. With this type, you don’t have to worry about charging, which adds a bit of convenience.
- Stand Rechargeable – The first rechargeable type is stand or base rechargeable, which means that you plug your shaver into a stand that will ensure that your wireless shaver always has charge between shaves. For some models, the stand can even clean the head of your shaver.
- Wire Rechargeable – These can function as both wireless and wired shavers. Simply plug it in if the power is low and let it charge. For the most part, you can even use the shaver when it’s recharging.
- Battery Powered – This is a more uncommon type, but these make for great travel shavers because they simply use an AA or AAA battery to provide power. This means that you won’t have to worry about power conversion when traveling overseas.
Some shavers include extra features like pop-out trimmers that add some versatility to your electric shaver. In addition to features like this, you can also find items like accessories to help you style your beard and brushes to style or even clean out the shaver more easily.
Other Top Electric Shavers Tested for this Guide
In a Nutshell
The ten best electric shavers that we have featured here in our guide will provide you with a close shave that will look great. While every shaver isn’t perfect for all, the shavers that we’ve featured all have great features that add value to the shaving experience. We hope that this guide has helped you find the device that works best for your needs so that your grooming experience can be an easy and rewarding one. If the products that we’ve featured don’t work for you, check out our value section so that you can find one that you’ll love.